If there is potential for large-scale coastal or Fraser River flood, local government or provincial officials will likely to be able to provide advance instructions to residents, which could include evacuation alerts or notices. In some flood situations, however, advance warning may not be possible. Regular monitoring of emergency information is important.
If this is an emergency
Is there a flood now in your community?
- Stay calm. Do not walk or drive in flood waters. Even shallow flood waters can be a serious safety threat. Park vehicles well away from all waterways.
- If someone is in danger of drowning or other life-threatening situation or has an emergency medical condition, call 911.
- Check with your municipality or with your First Nation (website, social media, phone). Local governments and First Nations governments are responsible for first emergency response to flood and will provide instructions to residents and community members.
- For flood emergencies impacting more one community, check EmergencyInfoBC for updated provincial reports and advice:
- To report a dike or dam failure, debris flows or flood, call the BC Emergency Coordination Centre (EMBC) at 1-800-663-3456.
- Follow local media for news, announcements and updates.
Prepare in advance
- Get your family prepared for flood emergencies with advice from Prepared BC, including advice specific to Getting Prepared for a Flood in British Columbia.
- Check the BC River Forecast Centre for flood warnings and advisories across BC.
- Where available, read the flood information pages of your local municipality for preparation information. Here are some handy links to municipal pages.
- Learn First Aid – and keep a first aid kit on hand: at home, at work and in your car. Courses are available from organizations, including the Canadian Red Cross and St. John Ambulance.
- Follow your local government and EmergencyInfoBC social media channels so you are alert to any potential flood events.
- Ensure your cellphone or wireless device is compatible with Alert Ready Canada’s emergency alerting system. In BC the system is currently reserved for tsunami warnings only. It may be used for other emergencies in the future.